In the midst of a week break from travelling, I was graciously put up by my boyfriend’s parents in their New York apartment. I was given free reign in the kitchen! I ate gloriously! One of my favorite things (that I actually managed to get pictures of) that I made was a raw fruit tart/pie. I got the idea somewhere on the internet, but I essentially tossed a bunch of stuff together. Hopefully I can remember how all this went down.
Raw Fruit Tart
1 8 inch pie pan
2 C almonds
1 C chopped medjool dates
1/4 C coconut flakes
About 2 C halved strawberries – enough to cover the top of the tart
- Blend the almonds and the dates together a handful at a time in a chopper – I used some sort of crazy Cuisinart chopping device I found lurking in a cabinet.
- Press almond/date mixture down into the pie pan, making sure to cover the sides of the pan.
- Peel, chop, and blend mangoes until they have an even consistency.
- Stir coconut flakes into mango.
- Scoop mango mixture into your pie crust, spreading it out evenly with a spatula.
- Place sliced strawberries (or any fruit of your choosing) decoratively over the tart.
- Chill the tart in a refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Best served chillllled out.
After much struggle with grinding almonds and dates together – this was the end result. Hooray! It was delicious, and I didn’t have to feel bad about eating it for breakfast the next day. Yessss. I also managed to make an AMAZING pasta-less lasagna (casserole?) with eggplant, spinach, and mushrooms. I made the dish twice and didn’t get a good photo of it either time – thanks night time photography. However, check out this dip I made for some crusty olive bread:
That’s some roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, and pepper – I let it marinate in its own sauciness before serving it and it was gooood.