Ah, the eternal quest for good vegan brownies continues. JUST KIDDING IT’S OVER THEY’RE RIGHT HERE.
I can’t understand why I didn’t make these before. They’re Isa’s recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen, and clearly they are ace. The perfect balance between fudgy and cakey brownies and a deep chocolate flavor make these epic. The best part about them is that they get better the longer you let them sit! Thus, I dub them “Next Day Brownies.”
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 12 oz extra firm silken tofu (the vacuum packed kind, like Mori-Nu)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocloate chips (I use Ghiradelli)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Droste)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- In a blender puree the tofu, flour and water until smooth. Pour it into a sauce pan, and wisk constantly over low heat until it thickens (it should not boil, if it starts to turn the heat down). This takes about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, salt, vanilla and sugar. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Set the mixture aside to cool completely.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- When mixture is cool enough mix in the oil. (It can take about 20-30 minutes to cool, give it a stir once in awhileand stick it in the fridge to make it cool faster).
- Sift the 1 1/2 cups of flour, the cocoa and the baking powder together. Fold in the tofu mixture until well combined and smooth.
- Spread evenly in a greased baking pan for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
I had a party and people kind of picked at them as they cooled, but it was the breakfast brownie the next morning that made my eyes roll back in my head. What’s the deal!? Something about sitting in the fridge overnight allowed the chocolate chips I added to the batter to harden and the flavors to mingle together in bliss. I added 1/4 C chocolate chips and 1/4 C walnuts to the recipe for my own preference. I’m now imagining all the add-ins that could make these even more incredible! These brownies are bomb. That’s all I can say.