I’m sitting in bed, resting and recovering after a minor surgery and I’m OVER IT. I’m really not very good at ‘taking it easy’ so bed-rest is more challenging than it is relaxing. In any case, I figure it’s as good a time as any to fill out the standard Vegan MoFo (which I missed) survey. I stole it from Veg-Am’s page.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Rosemary Foccacia and Cholent, both from V-Con, and this raw cabbage slaw that I keep daydreaming about.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
I am inhuman and do not like popcorn. It makes me angry because it gets stuck in my teeth and otherwise feels like eating air.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
In elementary school, my friend Colleen and I were making cookies to take in to class one day, and we dropped the dough on the floor. Her cat, M&M started to lick the dough. We still baked the cookies and took them in – chuckling allllll the way. Other than that, I once dumped a bunch of baking soda into a recipe for scones, thinking it was flour. Mmmm, tastes like metal.
5. Favorite pickled item? Dill pickles
6. How do you organize your recipes? I have everything in my computer. Which really doesn’t count as ‘organized.’
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? My building has no recycling, so I have to gather it all up and drive it across town once a week. It’s ridiculous. Other than that, trash. I have no room for composting. Someday!
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
vegan pizza with crimini mushrooms and cornmeal crust
chocolate chip peanut butter and banana cookies
‘toxic sludge’ smoothies – comprised of kale, spinach, spriulina, wheatgrass, protein powder, banana, apple, and orange
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
The cottage cheese man my parents made for me – he had a head of cottage cheese, arms of carrots, legs of celery, beet feet, etc. The genius of my parents hit me later – tricking a kid into eating veggies and appreciating art with one fell swoop. Nicely done guys.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Rice Dream Chocolate Caramel Chai
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
I’m all about good, sharp knives. They make a huge difference. I also just got this precious magnetized timer from Anthropologie. It’s really more for asthetic pleasure, but aww. Precious.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Basil. It put it in everything. My mom lived in Rome when she was pregnant with me, so I think I’m genetically MADE of it.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The Family Vegetarian Cookbook – I love everything about it except that the author recommends not drinking liquids with meals. What is that about??
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Cupcakes! Especially chocolate w/ vanilla buttercream icing because it always surprises people that vegan food can taste that good.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I love waking up early and making a huge brunch for people. Brunch parties FOREVER!
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? Some Valentines Day chocolates, my dog’s sock monkey, and some weird cereal my mom brought over for her stay. She’s taking care of me 🙂
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
frozen blueberries, breakfast soy-sausage, frozen peaches
20. What’s on your grocery list?
I am so set up right now, but wouldn’t mind some more spelt flour.
21. Favorite grocery store?
Trader Joe’s/Bristol Farms
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
My family’s Southern corn pudding
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
The bon-bons at M Cafe.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Hmm, probably saffron.